Dating app rapist jailed for 20 years

30 July 2026

Dating app rapist jailed for 20 years

“People think that a rapist is someone hiding down an alley, or in a bush with a knife, that will drag you away and force themselves on you, but Ans made me realise that a rapist can be charismatic, educated and can arrive with a smile.”

These are the words of a rape survivor as Muhammad Ans was sentenced to 20 years behind bars, with a further three years on extended licence.

Ans, of Tavistock, was convicted of four counts of rape against three women following a 14-day trial at Plymouth Crown Court. He was sentenced today, Thursday 30 July.

Police said Ans, 29, met all three women on dating apps between 2023 and 2025 the first on Bumble, the second on Baddoo, and the third on Tinder. In each case he arranged to meet the women, took them back to his home, and raped them.

Police said that when the first and second victims later confronted him over messages, Ans apologised and offered to take them shopping or for meals. Both refused. The second victim reported him to police, and Detective Constable Craig Ferguson launched an investigation.

Ans fled to Leeds after being confronted but was traced and arrested. He denied the offence in interview, claiming all contact had been consensual. Police said a digital download of Ans’ phone led DC Ferguson to uncover messages with the first victim, who was then identified and confirmed she too had been raped by him. A third victim came forward in August 2025, and police said all three cases were joined for trial.

Giving evidence at sentencing, the first victim described nightmares, panic attacks and the sense that she’d had to “burn everything that made up the woman I was.” The second victim said Ans’ actions had led to some of the darkest periods of her life, adding: “He is nothing but a rapist monster.” The third victim said the ordeal had left her afraid in her own home and unable to trust others, particularly men.

Sentencing, Judge Matthew Turner KC said Ans had preyed on each woman’s vulnerability, and condemned his “single minded pursuit” of his own sexual gratification alongside a “deeply troubling” refusal to accept his guilt. Ans must sign the sex offenders register for life.

DC Ferguson said the three women, unknown to each other, described strikingly similar experiences including Ans offering one victim $3,000 to “leave it,” an offer she refused, keeping the messages as evidence. He added: “Ans is a sexual predator who targeted these women on dating sites with the sole purpose of meeting up with them for sex. I want to pay tribute to the bravery and resilience of the three victims in this case, who have each displayed tremendous courage and strength.”

Photograph © Devon & Cornwall Police